Sunday, January 27, 2008

I am beaten, but in a trophyish winnerish openish sort of way...

Yello.
It's 5:30! Do you know where your brain is? Well I did, yesterday, and this is a special moment for me. This is the one year anniversary of me first starting to post about my many s&d adventures online. Even though you can't really understand (you really do have to go to a tournament to be able to understand) it's still pretty fun recounting the day again. With that said...
The Mt. Vernon 2008 Invitational had 25 schools. It conflicted with the PLU HS tourney, but Mt. Vernon is cooler so the majority of schools went there. :) Boo-yea.
Ali, Susan, Elliot, Erika, me and Dawna rode up in the school van. Ali did extemp, LD, and StuCo Erika did Duo and Oratory, Elliot did DI and Duo (and later judged a few B events) and I did DI and StuCo. You have no idea how nice it was to be in the StuCo room with a fellow teammember. It was awesome!
So there were three rounds of DI, and I really loved them. I hadn't done DI since middle of December, but I tweaked it up and felt okay with it. This is the part of the year where the pieces are getting old, so you just have to buckle down and bear through it. Sometimes I even zone out while I'm performing my piece, because I already have the words and actions down so pat I don't really have to concentrate. So I noticed a lot of really wonderful pieces, and wonderful speakers. It was really interesting, because lots of the DI's I've seen are good, but not wonderful or great. I saw a really sad piece called Distracted, and another one about an mother of an ADD child. Fortunately neither TJ nor Tahoma (biggest rival and 13 things girl) were not there, which made me very happy. :)
So that was in the morning, then at 2 I went to the StuCo room. There were 15 other representitaves (they only had one room, so it was Novice and Open mixed). Snohomish was there (but fortunately not Hare!) as was Shorecrest. That was where my biggest competition was, because there is a guy named Max Cho from Shorecrest and he's SO GOOD! He beat me at Snoho this past year. Anyways...
So I gave the authorship speech for the Coffee resolution, and it failed. haha. I don't really care. This congress was really relaxed, partly because it was towards the end of the day, but also because it was so short! It was kind of annoying, but I adjusted. (I prefer the really set and rigid Congress' like at UPS). I gave a pro speech on a Resolution to Ban the Death Penalty, and it was the worst speech I have ever made. I was so embarrassed, and I messed it up SO BAD. I was so embarrassed that afterwards I didn't look up for like 2 speeches afterwards, and Ali said he even noticed that. It was terrible. But after that I had to PO (the PO sits in the front of the room in front of EVERYBODY) so I stifled down my resistance and went up there. The rest of the congress passed uneventfully, then we started voting. There were 4 PO's, and they eliminated me first. There were 9 top speakers, and they did that by elimination. I survived all the eliminations! I was one of the Top 2 Speakers in the room, voted thus by my peers. (Student's Choice) I knew I'd get a trophy for that then, but I didn't know if I was 1st or 2nd top speaker. By that time, I didnt' really care.
I made it to Open DI finals, but I wasn't that excited. All the DI's were really good, and I was just a really interesting round, I did my best and really just enjoyed it and enjoyed watching the other pieces. Those are the best rounds, the ones where all the pieces are really worthwhile and interesting and yea, it was good.
Oh yea, and I also watched Ali's Semi round for LD (between Congress and finals) then we hung out until Awards. Mt. Vernon has an award show, not an award ceremony like all other schools, so it's pretty rocking. I got 1st place Student Choice in Congress. The first trophy.
They then called me back up for 2nd place (tie) for Top Points. The second trophy. (Cho got 1st, and he deserved it)
Then THEN called me back up for my final trophy, a 3rd place in Open DI. This is my new record for the most trophies in one tournament.
Erika got 2nd for her novice oratory, Ali got 2nd for novice extemp, 1st top speaker points in novice LD and 1st for novice LD! It rocked. :D
So on the way home, we figured out that I now have 324 poinnts, and Ali has finally passed me with 325. (Hence the title) I am beaten, and I have trophies to prove it!!!Kingston was there, I talked to Mitch a little, and Frank a little, but my interest in them is wanning, I think. It wasn't that interesting... Haha, I do have an admirer though, this guy came to our table to talk to me twice! The first time Ali 'saved' me, the 2nd time I managed to end the conversation. Needless to say, Ali, Elliot, and Erika all found it very amusing. I found it annoying, so (if you were planning on it)don't tease me ;). I had fun talking to Ali and walking around with Erika, and it was a wonderful day. :)
As my slogan for yesterday was: "All in a good day's work..." ;) :) :D :D !!!!!

5 comments:

Emma said...

Fun fun Michelle! And I can't wait to hear all about your new boy! ;)

Daisy said...

Too bad it didn't all go well... but I hope you had fun anyway!

Hee hee, don't you just love having random admirers? :D That's so funny... *snicker*

michelle said...

GUESS WHAT?! I MADE A MISTAKE! I STILL HAVE 2 MORE POINTS THAN ALI!!!!!! WHEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emma said...

Woo-hoo! You rock Michelle!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I love you, Chopped Lasagna.